For a game that’s quickly gaining popularity among people
with nothing better to do who are awesome at everything forever, there isn’t a single English guide to be found anywhere. I’m the kind of guy who loves filling niches, so I threw together this quick and dirty guide to raising the ultimate Mola Mola.
UPDATE: Given the popularity of this post, I owe it to all you Mola Mola lovers that I do this right. I’ve figured out pretty much everything this game currently has to offer, which will be available below. So naturally, Spoiler Alert!
What is Survive! Mola Mola?
It’s a game where you raise a Mola Mola, also known by the name Sunfish. Yes it’s a real animal, and it looks like this:
As you can see, Mola Mola are huge, so in this game it’s your job to make your Mola Mola grow as big as possible.
However, you won’t gain much weight by eating cheap plankton- to quickly get your Mola Mola to unchartered levels of obesity, you need to purchase upgrades using mana, and by finding new ways to kill your Mola Molas (nooo) which give future Mola Molas additonal weight bonuses.
The maximum bonus you can get is +765%, so finding every death method possible is the key to raising the biggest Mola Mola you can.
As mentioned earlier, mana is needed to purchase three categories of power-ups: Adventures, Food, and Food Count.
Adventures can be embarked on every hour, but the adventure you go on is randomly picked from the ones you’ve unlocked. The chance to die on an adventure starts off at 50%, and subsequent deaths lower the death chance to 75%, 95% and 99% respectively. You gain a weight bonus for dying on an adventure for the first time. The adventures you can unlock are:
- Itchy Body
- Ocean-Bottom Buffet
- Hidden Treasure
- Hello Mr. Turtle
- Fish Heaven
- Feathered Friends
- Mola Mola Rescue
- Towards the Light
- Further South Buffet (Hard Mode Only)
- The Secret to Getting Bigger (Hard Mode Only)
The second unlockable section is food. This probably has the biggest impact on the speed at which you grow larger, as you can gain well over 250kg from a single bite of the best food at the maximum weight bonus. You have an 8% chance of possibly dying from eating new food, which then sets to 99.9%.
You start off with the basic plankton, and the additonal food you may purchase are:
- Giant Clam (Hard Mode Only)
- Giant Squid (Hard Mode Only)
- Tasmanian Giant Crab (Hard Mode Only)
The last unlockable category is Food Count. This increases the rate at which food appears on your screen. There are a total of 24 levels you may purchase, whereby at the final level your screen is littered with food too numerous to count after a mere minute.
You might be curious about hard mode now, but don’t worry about it just yet. I’ll explain it in due time.
As you gain weight, your Mola Mola will change in appearance. There are a total of 14 Mola Mola forms, which I will list below:
- Sugar Ball
- Young Man
- Young Celebrity (300kg)
- Mola King (1,000kg)
- Aquarium King (2,500kg): at 5,000kg, you are offered two evolutionary paths. Voyager has additional evolutionary paths in Hard Mode while the Living Legend will die at 10,000kg.
- Living Legend (Choose ‘Blessings’)
- Voyager (Choose ‘Freedom and Hope’)
- Indian Ocean King (Voyager at 10,000kg, Hard Mode only)
- Antarctic Ocean King
- Atlantic Ocean King
- Arctic Ocean King
- Pacific Ocean King
Dumb Ways To Die
As mentioned earlier, you gain a 15% weight bonus every time you die in a new way. Here’s a list of all the current means of killing off your Mola Mola, which I mostly got from this site. Domo arigatou, Mr. Roboto.
1. Die eating every type of food- I already listed all the food types above, so just die eating every single one of them.
2. Die on every adventure- As straightforward as the above method. May take some time if you’re unlucky in getting the adventure you want to appear.
3. Die from touching- Tap on your Mola Mola a lot (I’m not sure how much, I hear 3,000 times) and it’ll die. After your Mola Mola dies, the Mola Molas that follow develop a 100% immunity to death from this method, so you can tap them as much as you want.
4. Flash- Using the in-game screenshot taker, take 10 screenshots of your Mola Mola. It’ll die. Like above, it’ll only work once.
5. Foam in Eye- Shake your phone furiously for about a minute. If you’re doing it right, you should see a lot of bubbles on your screen. RIP Mola Mola. Only works once. (PS: I’m not sure if this works on every phone model, but as far as I know there hasn’t been anyone who this hasn’t worked for.)
6. Horrible Eyesight- This one’s my favorite. Turn your phone brightness down to the lowest level, and wait a while. Your Mola Mola will die from colliding in the side of the tank. Only works once.
7. Stuck as an Egg Forever- “Alice Rawkz” shared this death method, which I couldn’t find any info about. With this, we have the complete list of every way to die. Kudos, Alice Rawkz 🙂
At the intro page after starting with a new Mola Mola, do not skip the intro. Swipe your screen (while taking care not to hit the ‘Skip’ button) and remove all the eggs around. You’ll trigger a sudden death.
8. Natural Causes- Raise your Mola Mola to 5,000kg, and pick the “Blessings” evolution path to evolve into a Living Legend. Your Mola Mola will die of old age at 10,000kg. You can do this as many times as you want, but you’ll only get the weight bonus on your first time.
On Normal Mode, the maximum weight bonus you can get is 15*(8+9+6)= 345%. However, by advancing to Hard Mode, you can get way more bonuses, as well as bonus content.
Once you hit 5,000kg with any of your Mola Molas, you will unlock Hard Mode, which you can advance to for 10,000 mana. Going into Hard Mode resets all your death percentage chances, and allows you to get weight bonuses on all the death methods, even the ones you previously already discovered. You will also get to keep your current weight bonuses. In short: you can more than double your weight bonuses by playing again on Hard Mode.
There is also a lot of additional content on Hard Mode, including new Mola Mola forms and new adventures/food/food count to unlock.
Additional adventure/food unlocks can be purchased when you hit certain weight limits (I can’t remember what they are, sorry, but just get as fat as you can and that oughta do it!)
- Obviously, to get the largest Mola Mola you can, you’re going to want to do two things: get every weight bonus you can, and purchase every unlockable.
- To purchase every unlockable, a large amount of mana is needed. To farm mana as quickly as possible, pick ‘Blessings’ at 5,000kg and die of old age at 10,000kg. Even on Hard Mode, the Pacific Ocean King gives the same amount of mana at death (5,000). If your weight bonuses are near maxed out, farming 10,000 mana takes only a matter of minutes.
- In order to get every weight bonus you can, it’s very important you do not enter Hard Mode until you have unlocked every death method on Normal Mode, because you may not return to Normal Mode once you switch over. If you get every weight bonus on Normal Mode and then switch over to Hard and get every weight bonus available there, you’ll get a grand weight bonus total of 765%.
- Having said that, do not recklessly use every death method every chance you get, especially methods 3-7 which are available at any time. While you will get a big boost in weight bonuses, you will not acquire much mana, and more importantly it’ll be difficult to kill your Mola Mola off later when you might really need to. I recommend raising your Mola to at least the Aquarium King level before using the special death methods, so you get a good mix of weight bonuses as well as mana.
That’s about everything you need to know about this game. If you have any additional information or comments, let me know in the comments section below! LET’S MOLA MOLA!